Saturday, September 27, 2014

Elephants, elephants, and me riding elephants

Sawatdeekah!



I got to ride an elephant this past week.



It was honestly one of the most amazing experiences of my life.



Being to close and getting to know these animals was unbelievable.



We went to Baan Chang Elephant Park, which is an elephant sanctuary in Chang Mai. They rescue all of their elephants, instead of capturing them, and strive to give them the best life that they can.



While we were there we got to pet, feed, ride and wash the elephants. My elephants name was Hua Hong (I actually have no idea if that's correct but I'm pretty sure that's what my guide said).



We were trained on the commands for telling the elephants where to go and when to stop. Although my elephant didn't listen very well, and Morgan and I often found ourselves walking towards the brush so that Hua Hong could eat along the way.



When we went through puddles she would stick her trunk in the mud and then spray us with it, but she was just being nice - she knew we were as hot as she was and was just trying to cool us down.



Riding them was actually quite terrifying because, in case you weren't aware, elephants are huge! And they aren't exactly easy/comfortable to sit on. So falling off was a real threat. And with my luck I was sure that it was going to be me.



But I made it, and my Thailand adventure continues!



I'll update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment