Saturday, September 6, 2014

The first day in Thailand.... 2nd try (hope you can see the pics this time!

Sawatdeeka!



So guys..... I'm in Thailand! It feels so surreal to be halfway round the world from everything I've ever known. After all of the stress that has gone into getting me here, it's amazing to finally be here!


 
Leaving my family was tough. I've lived away from home for almost 4 years now, and sometimes it has been an entire semester before I've gotten the chance to see them again. But for some reason being away from them for 3 months in Thailand seems much harder than 3 months from them in Morgantown..... I guess it is a littleeee farther. 
 


I had an amazing last weekend with my friends in Morgantown too! I am really going to miss the Ooma Kappa clan, but don't worry we'll ooze together once more in Decemer :P



It being my first trip outside of the country I had to document every little part of it. I was shamelessly taking selfies on the plane and in the airports, DON'T JUDGE ME!



Even though I have been on  a plane before..... if you count the 1 hour flight from Morgantown to Myrtle Beach and the ones I had taken up only to jump out of..... This was nothing like what I expected. I actually had to check a bag, and I had a layover IN ABU DHABI.


 
So 14 hours after boarding my first international flight I land in Abu Dhabi.



And 11 hours after that, I land in Bangkok! I didn't have a window seat for this flight so I didn't get pictures of what Bangkok looks like from the sky. But the airport sure was pretty!



I exchanged all the money I have to my name from USD to Baht (It actually looks like I'm not poor with this stack of cash)....



And I found a small man dressed in a safari suit holding a sign with my name on it (oh how I wish I had my camera out when I saw him!)

I took a few pictures, but for the most part we were driving from the airport to my dorm and good pictures were difficult, plus we were driving through the outskirts of the city. So no pictures of Bangkok just yet, I promise I'll put some up when I go in the next few days.

But this is where I'm living!



Beautiful huh?

Just look at this pool! The potato in me can't wait to roll around in there!



And here's the inside..... 



It's  a double room, for just me! Which is pretty sweet, because it's really hot here and I tend to strip as soon as I walk into my dorm room. But it's also a little lonely because well, I don't know any one here. But I should make friends soon...... hopefully.

And finally, I had my first authentic Thai cousine, the classic pad thai. Which by the way, is a thousand times better in Thailand ;P



I'll try to keep this updated as much as I can, I'm excited to share this trip with everyone! I have skype, what's app, imessage, fb and this blog so even though I'm 11 hours in the future you guys can still reach me.

-Rissa

No comments:

Post a Comment